Monday, June 20, 2011

Happy Birthday

About two years ago, Joseph and I went for a drive. I had my Handycam with me and pointed it out the window while we talked about this weird little idea I had. I didn't know what it would be called yet.

A day later, the Introduction of Marble Hornets was posted on Youtube. That was two years ago today.

It doesn't feel like it's been that long. But it does feel like we've come a long way since our first attempt at writing the original story of MH, which was only supposed to go for 31 entries if memory serves. There was no ToTheArk, no masks, no red tower, and no twitter account.

In a way, I miss the simplicity of what we originally had. It would have been easier (and cheaper) to shoot, and would require little to no real acting chops. But there also would've been no payoff storywise. Would that have been okay? Maybe. For the most part, I'm glad we branched away from it pretty quickly into what Marble Hornets is now. Sure, it often gives me headaches when trying to keep our own "mythology" and timelines straight, but I've gotten so used to it now that I wouldn't know what to do if it went any other way.

I want to thank Joseph for sticking with this, the little scamp. There's been times where MH has "tested" our friendship, but by and large, it's let us work together to make something we're proud of. And of course, I thank all of you for your continued support. Be patient for a few more weeks, and things will be picking up big time.
3

17 comments:

  1. Why is there a small "3" at the end of your blog post?? Is this some kind of clue??? WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?!???

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 MEANS THERE WILL BE SEASON 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such a wonderful piece of entertainment, Troy and co., and congratulations to two years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the 2 year anniversary, Troy! And thanks for all your guys' hard work! It's certainly been a fun ride so far and I can't wait to see where it takes us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations man, truly is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Troy! :D You and Joseph both rock, not gonna lie. Y'all make some great stuff. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Troy, so thrilled with it <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was actually thinking about this last night! My friend & I shot a parody for teh lulz.
    Happy birthday, Marble Hornets! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! Go MH!
    You and Joseph do such a good job, with all your stuff.
    Happy B-Day, Marble Hornets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. either it was supposed to be a heart or it means that we have to wait 3 weeks....

    Either way, congrats, I love Marble Hornets, and am always glad that its so complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, Marble Hornets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super-congrats! :D Thanks so much for sticking with it... Marble Hornets has been something that I've really enjoyed ever since I found it way back... like February of last year? In any case, I've always liked that the sense from this series that you guys can carry us along for a ride, regardless of our OCD observations. You can pick it apart and get a billion different meanings, or chill and skim the surface for a different sort of story. Both are fun!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats!
    Happy birthday, Marble Hornets (: I've watched from about the beginning, and it's just so strange to think that it's been two years...!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Contrary to TTA, I don't think you've been wasting time at all. :P

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jesus gay, if "picking up big time" intends to imply that the season has been going only half-hog so far, I am seriously looking forward to seeing how the antes are gonna up next. :o

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, Entry #1 finally has >1 million views!

    ReplyDelete