Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Demolition Time

For reasons that I can't elaborate on (even though I'm sure some of you will figure it out), I've been going back through the first season of Marble Hornets; trudging through alternate takes, outtakes, and general weirdness in an attempt to organize it into one maybe-semi-intriguing package. It's quite the undertaking, to be sure.

Doing so has made me realize something, though. This whole thing has come a long way. I don't know if I can accurately describe with words how disorganized, confused, and directionless everything was way back then. Mainly me. There are several times the camera catches me instructing things to be done "because that will look cool". This still happened on occasion even after I realized that these videos were inspected, by some, with the kind of scrutiny usually reserved for crime scene investigation. Talk about amateur. But in a way, I'm glad that's how it all used to work. It's forced me and my accomplices to take a sledgehammer to the many corners we've written ourselves into. It's not easy, and saying it's painfully confusing to get straight is an understatement. But dammit, if it's not fun.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you get better at things the more you do them. I feel like I've heard that somewhere before. Of course, that's not to say I think I'm some amazing visionary now or anything. I've just improved, but I never noticed it until now. It's a nice surprise.

In other news: there's so many fantastic things going on right now. Hopefully I'll be able to share some of it with you soon.

11 comments:

  1. Marble Hornets has always made me crap my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad things are going well for you. You deserve it after entertaining the internet for free for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that you get better at things the more you do them. I feel like I've heard that somewhere before."
    There is word for it: practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Rick ^^^ lol.
    And it's only gotten better and better. You guys are doing a great job with it :3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really excited for a new update! :D
    Also, we complete LOVE it when you guys reply to us on Twitter, that was a huge (and welcome) shock. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHY MUST YOUR TWITTER MOCK ME WITH TANTALIZING TWEETS OF DOOM.

    Also, I'm glad to hear everything's going super-dee-duper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...an attempt to organize it into one maybe-semi-intriguing package."

    Please say this is for the magical disc read by lasers that you told us about. I think I speak for most of the fans when I say we would buy a DVD in half a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Surely, I went back to search again more thoroughly ."

    I can't wait for the next video. And don't call me Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tense entry. Good job on it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes yes yes yes YESSSS
    So I read this blog entry, and as soon as I saw "maybe-semi-intruguing package," I squeeeeeeeeee'd. 8D I would spend money. LOTS. OF MONEY. On a Marble Hornets DVD.

    Also. It's official. Marble Hornets is genuinely terrifying at times. Even though absolutely nothing happened in Entry 34, I STILL feel so paranoid looking through windows or even bright, sunshine-y corridors. All thanks to your amazing series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've officially freaked me out for the first time live 'playing' MH (I missed being live during S1). I, oddly enough, thank you for this. It's what got me into MH in the first place, man. Loving what you're doing here, and having fun trying to get through these entries piece-by-piece. As half-of-a film major myself (double-majoring) you and the rest of the gang have been a real inspiration. Keep it up - you're definitely improving on S1 both formally and conceptually, and I can't wait to see where this goes!

    -Ryan (redherring)

    ReplyDelete